A Workshop on Surfing and the Art of Leadership
October 1-5, 2019
Join us in Medewi, Bali for an unforgettable surfing adventure led by life-long surfer, educator, and coach, Ken Otter. In this 5 day workshop we explore the earth’s wisdom expressed in the sensuous waves of Bali, and gain powerful insights from the riding ways that help us in navigating the dynamic and complex social systems in which we work and live.
- Two days of surfing instruction (if desired) and five days of surfboard rental
- Discover ways to transfer insights gained from surfing into navigating complex social systems in your work and life
- Excursions to explore the natural and cultural beauty of Bali
- Spend 4 Nights in beautiful Medewi, Bali
Interested in cultivating your leadership artistry through surfing the tropical waters of Western Bali, away from the crowds?
Join Ken in this unique and transformative leadership learning adventure through wave riding and a deep cultural immersion in Balinese life.
Whether you are a seasoned surfer or new to surfing, by riding ocean waves with your body or a board, you cultivate embodied and embedded knowledge that comes from being immersed in wild ocean-earth energy patterns. You then explore ways to transfer this knowledge into navigating complex social systems in your work and life.
Ken is a life-long surfer who also has over 30 years of professional experience in human and organizational development as an educator, coach and consultant, in the US and internationally. This experience engages people from diverse backgrounds, professions, and levels of responsibility in such areas as: education, health, public service, business, and the arts. Ken’s work is grounded in his life-long inquiry on the interplay between inner and outer change and how this interplay is practiced toward individual and organizational well-being, and leadership artistry.
About the Program Leader:
Ken Otter, Ph.D. is Director of Leadership Studies Programs and Co-director of The Leadership Center at Saint Mary’s College. Areas of scholarship include: global leadership development, leadership coaching education, multi-stakeholder collaboration, collective creativity, and the application of lifespan and wisdom development in organizational life. Ken’s educational studies include somatic, counseling and organizational psychology, expressive arts therapy, adult development and learning, and leadership. In addition to both a M.A. and Ph.D. degree, he has been earned certificates in the Art and Practice of Leadership Development from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, and in Executive and Organizational Coaching from Columbia’s Teacher’s College.
Pricing and Registration
- Double Occupancy – $950 / participant
- Single Supplement – $300
–> If you are not traveling with someone you would like to share a room with, we will pair you with another solo traveler, if no one is available, single room occupancy fee may apply. Each traveler will have their own bed unless you have indicated otherwise.
- 4 nights at the exceptional Bambora Medewi Wavelodge (double occupancy)
- Airport transfer on the start and end date of the program
- Nature and Cultural Excursions
- Two days of surfing instruction or coaching
- Five days of surfboard rental
- All breakfasts and welcome dinner
- Strategies for transferring insight into action
- Special gifts including sarong, sash & journal
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Trip cancellation, lost baggage, or medical insurance
- Laundry and personal items
- Meals not listed
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Optional activities outside of the program itinerary
- International phone calls