Transformational Writing Through Cultural Awakening
March 3-13, 2020
Your writing will never again be the same. Here in Bali you will spend 11 profound days weaving magical experiences with thought-provoking insights on yourself and the world at large. We’ve selected captivating excursions covering temples and palaces, visits to women’s organizations, and conversations with cultural leaders. You’ll witness culture from behind the veil of tourism. Threads of personal and collective meaning will pull your writing in new directions. Expand your personal horizons. Deepen your spiritual understanding of the seen and unseen worlds.
Bali Institute will share many of the people, places and activities that we’ve come to treasure over our 15 years on the ground in Bali. Tammy brings her wealth of writing expertise to help guide a deeper capacity for your own written words. It’s a journey that will surely inspire you in ways you never imagined.
Several writing times during our 11 days together will be intertwined with carefully selected experiences that are designed to evoke a more engaged process within. Working with Marcia Jaffe, founder of Bali Institute, we will be focused on themes and dialogues that prod us to reach deeper into our writing souls. Marcia will be along for some of our journey and her guidance will be invaluable in bridging east and west awareness.
This is a cultural writing trip not to be missed. Tammy, Marcia and the entire Bali Institute team welcomes you.
- Spend an afternoon with Agung Rai, founder of an iconic Balinese art museum as he shows you remnants of Bali’s ancient history hidden under Ubud’s more modern facade
- Join the Prince of Peliatan for a private tour & dinner. Special opportunity to ask the Prince questions about Bali’s traditional culture as well as modern-day challenges.
- Dinner at a local Women’s Center where you’ll hear the founder’s story and her dream to create a space where Balinese women can support each other and learn new skills.
- Have dinner with a local Balinese family at their compound.
- Experience a unique temple at night.
- Go to the morning market to gather ingredients and try your hand at making some delicious traditional Balinese and Indonesian dishes in a cooking class.
- Sunset boat ride above a gorgeously restored coral reef.
- Delicious Balinese food, incredible scenery, culture and art.
About the Program Leaders:
Tammy Coia has been leading women’s writing retreats for over ten years. She has a gift of being able to bring like minded women together and then to work in gentle ways to really get to the heart of their story. Tammy has worked with hundreds of women and each retreat she brings her best in all forms such as meaningful prompts and workshops. Once you join in a retreat you will see why so many women come again and again to her retreats. She chooses various locations that will inspire and bring out the best in each of the women who attend. Be prepared to have a retreat like you have never had before. Each retreat is small and intimate and most of them are all-inclusive which means you arrive and just focus on you! Give your self the gift of a TLC Writing Retreat and you will understand that the TLC just isn’t her initials but it is how she leads and lives her life.
Marcia Jaffe, founder of Bali Institute, is delighted to co-lead her favorite ceremonial time in Bali — Nyepi, the Balinese Hindu new year where dark forces are honored and silence is a golden connection to bringing in a new year. Marcia has a deep love for Bali, discovered on her first trip there in 2003. “The indigenous wisdom existing in the culture and its people felt like a global healing for all of humanity,” she says. It became her passion and huge drive to encourage people everywhere to visit, listen and experience the knowledge that lived both in the seen and the unseen worlds in Bali. Now, more than 15 years later, the Bali Institute has emerged as the largest provider of educational travel for teens, college students and adult travelers in Bali and Indonesia. Marcia’s background includes running her own events management business for over 10 years in Silicon Valley, prior to her Bali launch.
Pricing & Registration
- Double Occupancy – $4295
- Single Supplement – $700
–> If you are not traveling with someone you would like to share a room with, we will pair you with another solo traveler, if no one is available, single room occupancy fee may apply. Each traveler will have their own bed unless you have indicated otherwise.
- 10 nights, double occupancy at beautiful 3 and 4 star Balinese accommodations
- All breakfasts, all lunches, 6 dinners
- All transportation in air-conditioned buses and vans throughout the program for activities listed on the itinerary
- Airport transfer on the start and end date of the program
- English speaking tour guide(s) and coordination team
- All activities listed on final program itinerary are included in the per person ground costs, including entrance fees, lectures and donations
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Customized program booklet for all participants with itinerary, program descriptions and other useful information
- 24/7 Medical and emergency staff support for the entire duration of the program
- Special gifts including sarong, sash and journal
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Trip cancellation, lost baggage, or medical insurance
- Laundry and personal items
- Meals not listed on itinerary
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Optional activities outside of the program itinerary
- International phone calls