Bali Institute for Global Renewal in Collaboration with
Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Power of One – Bali, Indonesia:
Community Based Interventions & Sustainable Business Practices
December 11 – 20, 2017
Power of One: Bali, Indonesia. Course will explore how the Balinese people treat mental illness and sustain their communities. Students will experience the unique intersection of community based interventions and sustainable business practices as found in Bali. This will be achieved through an investigation of the historical, spiritual, cultural, and experiential perspectives.
During this excursion, we will experience unique and varied facets of Balinese land, people and culture and reflect alone and together on its significance and contribution to our work and lives.
- Visit a traditional market and temple, walk through serene rice paddies, and visit one of Bali’s active volcanoes
- Learn Balinese music and dance, woodcarving and offering-making at a local banjar (community center)
- Spend a morning at a local NGO
- Visit a holy spring temple where countless Balinese go for purification rituals each year
- Try laughing yoga & meditation
- Enjoy dinner with the prince and a Legong dance performance at Peliatan Palace
- Take an herb walk through the rice paddies with a local knowledgeable guide
- Get up early to watch the sunrise on a traditional fishing boat
- Watch the sunset while visiting an iconic temple by the sea
- Enjoy a delicious final dinner and end your journey to Bali with a special closing ceremony at an important temple of the Mengwi royal
About the Program Leaders:
Brian Luhmann, Psy.D. graduated with his Doctorate of Psychology in Marital and Family Therapy from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology in Irvine. Dr. Luhmann is currently an Adjunct Faculty member for the Applied Clinical Psychology program. He is also a Marriage and Family Therapy Intern, and practices as a Primary Therapist & Case Manager at Alternative Options Counseling Centers treating adolescent and adult clients through mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, with a focus on the family systems. Dr. Luhmann has been involved with several international initiatives including training child care workers in Zambia and providing consultation on psychological services for an orphanage in Thailand. Additional areas of focus range from researching outcomes on adolescent surf clinics to certifications from the International Crisis Incident Stress Group (which focused on group interventions for crisis situations).
Crystal Ishihara, Ph.D. is the Director of Academic Record Compliance with TCS Education System focusing on improving the policies/procedures of TCS ES’s affiliate schools through training/development, coaching, policy review/updates and procedural audits. She obtained both her Master of Arts in Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Doctor of Philosophy in Business Psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology where she co-founded ConCISE (2009), a student run consulting firm. Her research focuses on how ethnicity/conflict management preferences may affect one’s potential for burnout.
- Accommodations in all locations
- All transportation throughout the program
- Airport transfer on the start and end date of the program
- All breakfasts and lunches, some special dinners
- All cultural immersion activities and meetings with NGOs and Balinese leaders
- Facilitation for group reflections to help students digest their experience in Bali
- Staff support for the entire duration of the program
* Bali Institute for Global Renewal is the largest provider of cultural immersion and service learning programs for universities and high schoolers based in Bali, Indonesia. Other programs include internships and practicum opportunities, faculty training programs and other services to international groups and organizations in their quest to provide inspired learning towards global citizenship. Bali Institute is located in Ubud, Bali and Sausalito, California. It is the only affiliate member of ISEP, and an educational partner with Udayana University and Ganesha University — both based in Bali.